Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Small Note to Remember a Great Man

Tissa Abeyesekera, a leading artiste in Sri Lanka passed away today after being admitted for surgery to Colombo General Hospital this week. 

Words fail me. I have known of him since I was young. I have met him many a times at dinners and lunches. I have answered the phone when he had phoned to speak to my parents. Thus I don't write of him as an ardent fan. But merely as someone I had the priviledge to know. 

He will be greatly missed by his closest friends. His voice will remain etched in our hearts as we hear repeatedly the countless documentaries for which he has done the voice over. That authoratitive voice, injecting into the listener the gravity of any situation. 

His movies will work as a memory of his brilliance. His creativity. 

It is a great loss to us. That we are no longer able to hear one more word uttered in that magnificent voice or listen to a story formulated by that genius of a mind.

May he rest in peace. 

No comments: